What does Aviatrix encrypted peering do?¶
Aviatrix encrypted peering builds an encrypted tunnel between two VPC/VNets with a single click. In addition to building the encrypted connection, the Controller also programs the cloud infrastructure routing table so that you don’t have to.
The VPC and/or VNet can be across regions and across the cloud. The solution enables you to build an encrypted network. You can enable stateful firewalls on each VPC/VNet to add additional security measures.
When should I consider using Aviatrix encrypted peering?¶
See this document.
How do I configure encrypted peering?¶
- Navigate to Gateway > +New Gateway in one existing VPC/VNet. VPN access may be disabled.
- Repeat Step 1 with a different VPC ID or VNet Name.
- At Peering > Encrypted Peering > +New Peering. Select the two gateway names and click OK.
Is native AWS Peering supported?¶
Yes, you can configure AWS intra region peering and inter-region peering where it is available from the Controller. Go to Peering > AWS Peering.
Cross accounts are supported.
How do I configure encrypted peering with ActiveMesh and Insane Mode both enabled?¶
You can configure an encrypted peering with ActiveMesh and Insane Mode by going through the Transit Network workflow, as described in the following steps.
- Go to Transit Network > Setup > Step 4, Launch a Spoke Gateway to launch the primary Spoke Gateway. Select ActiveMesh. Select Insane Encryption.
- Go to Transit Network > Setup > Step 5, Enable HA to launch the HA gateway for the Spoke Gateway created in the above step.
- Repeat the above two steps for the peering VPC/VNet.
- Go to Peering > Encrypted Peering, +Add New. Select the two primary gateways created in the above steps. Select HA. Click OK.
Note that both primary gateway and backup gateway forward traffic. The VPC/VNet route tables are divided so that half of the route tables point the peered VPC/VNet CIDR to the primary gateway and the other half of the route tables point the peered VPC/VNet CIDR to the HA gateway. This division is best effort.
Each gateway runs ECMP to the peered gateways.
What is the encryption algorithm for encrypted peering?¶
- Phase 1:
- Authentication: SHA-256
- DH group: 14
- Encryption: AES-256-CBC
- Phase 2:
- Authentication: AES-128-GCM-96
- Encryption: AES-128-GCM-96